Family Worship Guide: Introduction to the Heidelberg Catechism
Lord willing, beginning today, I’ll write family worship guides to supplement our studies of the Heidelberg Catechism. There will be links to all Scripture readings, Catechism readings, articles and sermons referenced. Each day will also have a link to a song from the Psalter, with the lyrics and tunes for learning the song.
Here’s the first worship guide.
Thursday, June 19, 2014 â€¢Â Download this Worship Guide (PDF)
Introduction to the Heidelberg Catechism
Reading: Luke 1:3-4 and Acts 18:25
1. What does the word â€œcatechismâ€ mean? Is catechism a Roman Catholic invention?
2. Who were the two writers of the Heidelberg Catechism (HC)?
3. Who ordered these two writers to write the HC? Why?
4. Why is it important to study the HC?
5. What happens to young children who choose to disobey godly parents? What happens to drivers who choose to ignore traffic rules?
6. What is the basis of the teachings of the HC?
7. Is knowledge of the HC required to be a Christian? What is a true Christian?
We thank you, Lord, for your Word, the Bible, that you have given us through your prophets and apostles. They teach us your wisdom for living under your perfect will. Thank you for your Holy Spirit who gives us understanding. And thank you also for faithful parents, pastors and friends who study your Word, and then explain it to us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.