Jesus Our Great Psalm Writer, Singer and Worship Leader
How tragic that most churches prefer to sing music written by Biblically-illiterate teens rather than music written by Jesus our Great Psalm Writer and Singer!
Jesus sang the Psalms.
After the Passover supper, he sang one of the Hallel Psalms, Psalm 113-118 (Mt 26:30). In previous conversations with the Jews, he pointed out to them a text from Psalm 118:22, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone” (see also Mt. 21:42; Mk 12:10; Lk 20:17). This verse, and verse 21, “I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation,” must have been so much comfort to him after the Passover supper.
On the cross, he must have sung the Psalms on his mind, especially Psalm 22:
- Ps. 22:18 “They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots” (see Mt 27:35; Jn 19:24).
- Ps. 22:7 “All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads” (see Mt 27:39).
- Ps. 22:8 “He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!” (see Mt 27:43)
- Ps. 22:1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?” (see Mt 27:46)
But as he suffered the wrath of God poured out on him””but for the elect’s sin””the Psalms also rang true for him to comfort him. He had confidence in his vindication and reward from his Father from the Psalms:
- Psalm 31:5: “Into your hands I commit my spirit” (see Lk 23:46)
- Psalm 16:9-10: “Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption” (see Acts 13:35).
- Psalm 22:24 “For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him” (see Heb 5:7).
Today, therefore, whenever we gather for worship, our Resurrected Savior is also our Great Worship Leader!
“I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you” (Psalm 22:22; Hebrews 2:12).