Liturgy for June 16, 2013
Come, join us as we worship a holy and gracious God with reverence and joy!
|* Those who are able, please stand.||Download PDF liturgy|
ENTERING INTO WORSHIP
* Call to Worship: Psalm 30:1-5
* Invocation: Psalm 124:8
* Salutation:Â 1 Peter 1:1-2
* Opening Prayer
* Song of Praise: O LORD, By Thee DeliveredÂ #52:1, 2, 5
CONFESSION OF SIN
Reading of the Law:Â Â 1 Corinthians 6:9-13
Almighty and most merciful Father, we are thankful that your mercy is higher than the heavens, wider than our wanderings, deeper than all our sin. Forgive our careless attitudes toward your purposes, our refusal to relieve the suffering of others, our envy of those who have more than we have, our obsession with creating a life of constant pleasure, our indifference to the treasures of heaven, our neglect of your wise and gracious law. Help us to change our way of life so that we may desire what is good, love what you love, and do what you command, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 30:8-12
RESPONSE OF GRATITUDE
88. In how many things does true repentance or conversion consist?
A. In two things: the dying of the old man, and the making alive of the new.
89. What is the dying of the old man?
A. Heartfelt sorrow for sin, causing us to hate and turn from it always more and more.
90. What is the making alive of the new man?
A. Heartfelt joy in God through Christ, causing us to take delight in living according to the will of God in all good works.
SERVICE OF THE WORD
* Scripture Lessons: Ecclesiastes 7:1-12 (text); Hebrews 11:32-40
* Gloria Patri
* Song of Preparation: Be Thou My Helper in the Strife #60:3, 8
Sermon: YOUR BETTER LIFE NOW AND FOREVER
1. Funerals Better than Feasts
2. “Unlikes” Better Than “Likes”
3. Now and Future Better Than Former Days
LEAVING TO SERVE