Liturgy for August 5, 2012 in Imus
For an explanation of the details of this liturgy, see “A Brief Walk-Through Our Liturgy.” This is based on John Calvin’s liturgy in the church in Strassbourg published in 1545. For a paper on the pattern of Biblical worship from “the Garden of Eden to the New Jerusalem,” see “The Heavenly Pattern of Worship” by Peter J. Wallace.
Entering into God’s Presence
* Call to Worship Â Psalm 97:1-7
* InvocationÂ Â Psalm 124:8
* God’s GreetingÂ Â Galatians 1:3-5
* Opening Prayer
* Psalm of Praise Â Jehovah Reigns; Let Earth Be Glad (Psa 97) #189:1-3, 5
Confession of Sin
Reading of the Law Â Exodus 20:1-17
Confession of Sin
The psalmist testifies: Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for me. If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. In the strength of this assurance, let us confess our sins to God. (Psa 66:16-18).
Merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart and mind and strength. We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. In your mercy forgive what we have been, help us amend what we are, and direct what we shall be, so that we may delight in your will and walk in your ways, to the glory of your holy name. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon Â Isaiah 1:18
Minister: Know that you are forgiven, and be at peace and thankful.
People: Thanks be to God.
Response of Gratitude
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
* The Creed Â Heidelberg Catechism Lord’s Day 35
OfferingsÂ Â Psalm 50:14
Service of the Word
Scripture Lessons Â Leviticus 9:22-10:11 (text); Hebrews 12:28-29
* SongÂ of Preparation Â Now Unto Us, O Lord of HeavenÂ (Psa 115) #226:1, 2, 5
Sermon:Â Â Fire from the Lord
1. Consumes False Worshippers
2. Consumes Pleasing Sacrifices
3. A Fire That Does Not Consume
Service of the Lord’s Supper
Minister: Lift up your hearts.
People: We lift them up to the Lord.
The Thanksgiving Prayer (with Congregational Prayer)
Leaving to Serve
* Song of Consecration Â Holy! Holy! Holy!Â #318:1-4
* DoxologyÂ Â Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow #493
* Benediction Â 2 Corinthians 13:14
* Amen! Â Three-Fold Amen